Paralysis Attack

About Ritika Jain

Ritika jain hails from Rajasthan, She is pursuing her journalism studies from Mumbai. She loves to meet new people, explore new places and also loves dancing.
For #TellMeYourStory, Ritika is dedicated to collect stories from senior citizens, especially from those at old age homes, who aren't tech savvy but have marvelous stories to say, reflecting upon culture, values, ideologies and a generation.

View All Stories

Don’t tell this to anyone, but I am not sure about my year of birth. That’s a secret between you and me. According to my papers though, I am 48, and I am happy with that.

I am basically from Bihar. I was married in a Muslim family here, in Dadar, Maharashtra. I was just 22 then, right after my graduation got complete. My family was very clear that once my graduation was over, they would tie my knot without any further delay. So I was ready soon as I had no option left. By the age 35, I had three children.

It was the year 2006, when I was paralyzed. I used to get paralysis attacks very often. But I always used to ignore them, thinking things would be fine by themselves. I never met any doctor or never went for a treatment. Neither did my husband and his family bother about me so much. In June 2006 I got n paralysis attack; this time it was a very serious one. I could not move my hand, neither could I shout or do anything as my upper body was just not functioning. I felt as if I did not have my upper body.

But luckily, after 5 minutes my mother-in-law came to the room and saw me suffering. She raised her voice and called my husband. My husband came and took me to the hospital. After enough check up, the doctor told my family that a part of my body has been paraylzed and my treatment would cost a lot, though there was no guarantee or any fixed time period by which I will be normal.

It was a huge mental breakdown for me. I heard it all but could not even speak a word.

My in-laws called my family. “She is your daughter and you have to take care of her,” they told my father. My family bore all my cost and suffered all the burden of dealing with an inactive body and active mind. Everything concerning me was on them. Fortunately it has been some two years that I have recovered and I am almost normal. No one was expecting me to get back to life. But I made up my mind and came back to Bombay in November 2009.

But my husband and his family did not accept me. After all, who knows when a recovered paralysis patient would get back her ailment and trouble the family again? I was divorced. I had no clue where to go as I did not want to be a burden on my family. My matrimonial family was not accepting me. With a hundred turns in life, I landed up here in this old age home. I met new people here and made a real family. MY family.


Storyteller : Tanzeela Fathima

As told to Ritika Jain


You may also like

Leave A Comment

Please enter your name. Please enter an valid email address. Please enter message.